"Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect, it means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections to whats really important" Family!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Soap for Baby

I guess I have discovered the secret to making soap at home.........


But, I never intended to make Hana drink it. That is however, exactly what she did yesterday before our trip out to the park, and I must admit she loved it. I'm sure you realize by now I am talking about my defrosted breast milk. I know..I know...It's not really soap, but it sure DOES smell and taste real soapy! At first I didn't know what was going on. I tried defrosting older and newer milk to see if maybe the older milk had gone bad, and to my surprise they both smelled and tasted the same! LIKE SOAP! I was getting a little nervous so I tried another and got the same results. At that point I remembered reading something about soapy milk, but couldn't remember the details and if that was a sign of spoilage or something. Pseudo informed mommy here! With my bf'ing tail between my legs I slinked over to the computer and onto one of my favorite baby info sites. AHH HAAA!! my milk is not spoiled!! I just stored it wrong......??? Boooo!!

Turns out I should have done something called "scalding" to my milk before I froze it. To scald means "to heat (a liquid, such as milk) almost to the boiling point". I guess I have high levels of something called "lipase" in my BM, and as a result, my BM tastes soapy and metallicy. Well what the heck is this lipase you ask....??

According to Kellymom.com,....

Lipase is an enzyme that is normally present in human milk and has several known beneficial functions:

* Lipases help keep milk fat well-mixed (emulsified) with the "whey" portion of the milk, and also keep the fat globules small so that they are easily digestible (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
* Lipases also help to break down fats in the milk, so that fat soluble nutrients (vitamins A & D, for example) and free fatty acids (which help to protect baby from illness) are easily available to baby (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
* The primary lipase in human milk, bile salt-stimulated lipase (BSSL), "has been found to be the major factor inactivating protozoans" (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 203).

Now that I know what that is......what the heck can be done about it regarding the HUGE stash I already have?!?! To my dismay as I kept reading it seems nothing can be done if you've already stored the milk. So I'm left with a humongous stash of soapy tasting milk........*sigh*......so much for being informed.........

On the lighter side......I guess no bad words will ever come out of my little girl's mouth......LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails